This informal CPD article, ‘How Big Data is Impacting Different Industries’, was provided by ACODS (Aedifico Centre of Data Science) who specialize in state of the art technical skill training and certification on all popular IT technologies.
Data can be found everywhere today. Data is generated by every aspect of our lives, including social media interactions and online shopping behaviours. Due to the abundance of information, a new field known as “big data” has emerged. This term describes the vast quantities of data that are too complex to be processed by conventional data processing tools.
The way we work, live and engage with the world around us could all be drastically changed by big data. The industries that are being impacted by this game-changing technology will also be covered in this article, along with some of the big data-related technologies.
There are several technologies that are used in big data processing. These include:
1. Hadoop: An open-source software framework called Hadoop is used to store and process large amounts of data. To store data across numerous servers, it makes use of the Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS). MapReduce is a processing engine that is part of Hadoop that enables users to create applications that process data concurrently across multiple servers.
2. NoSQL Databases: Large amounts of unstructured data can be handled by NoSQL databases. Data that does not fit in conventional relational databases is stored in them. Data models used by NoSQL databases range from key-value to document to graph-based models.
3. Spark: An open-source data processing engine called Apache Spark is used to quickly process large amounts of data. Data processing, machine learning, and graph processing are all supported by Spark libraries.
4. Machine Learning: A branch of artificial intelligence called machine learning employs algorithms to learn from data. It is used to examine and glean insights from large amounts of data.
Big Data has a significant impact on several industries. Here are some examples of industries that are impacted by Big Data:
- Better patient outcomes are one important way big data is affecting healthcare. Healthcare providers can use machine learning algorithms to analyze patient data and find patterns that can be used to develop more precise disease diagnoses and treatment strategies thanks to the abundance of data now available. In addition to improving patient outcomes, this lowers healthcare costs by cutting back on pointless procedures and examinations.